Sarah Coulson, CPAmerica International
There is no secret formula to having a successful career. Just like college, it really is not enough to just show up and ace everything. Although there never seems to be enough time in the day, career progression can only happen if you become more involved. Below are career development ideas worth considering to help build your personal brand:
- Associations: Join associations that interest you. Become involved in these associations by attending conferences and webinars they offer, join a committee, and participate in their professional development offerings. Associations are truly a ‘you are what you give’ commitment. Do not join just to do the bare minimum so you can add a line to your résumé. You do not want to be known as the person who joins everything but does not participate. Here is a list of several associations to consider:
- Boards: The great thing about our profession is that marketing is essential. If you have an interest in any non-profit, join their board. Every organization needs marketing expertise (although most have a tough time defining it). And if your interest does not exactly match your skill set, go for it anyway! What you will learn from the experience will be life changing, and the networking opportunity will lead to relationship building, and, possibly, to more business for your firm.
- Volunteering: Same for volunteering. Perform a mixture of volunteering in and out of your comfort zone. What better way to learn about your community than by being involved in things that not only are for the better good, but also help you grow as a person? Take chances to know what you do not know and think about all the extra networking you will achieve!
- Awards: Are you investing your hard work and time into something you are proud of? Do not waste a great opportunity to showcase your work. If you are a member of an association, look into the different processes for submission into their industry awards. Not only are you getting the recognition you deserve, so is your firm.
- Certifications: If you are already investing your time and hard work into mastering a skillset, why not get certified? Click on the links below for more information on certifications available to marketers:
Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg – there are various ways to get involved and progress in your career. Good luck and forge ahead, fellow marketers!